Think about this.
- Your customers / clients are already mobile. Are you?
- By 2013, more people will use their mobile phones than PCs to get online.
- 66% mobile users say “If I really like the company, I’m disappointed if their mobile site is a bad experience”
- 55% mobile users say “A frustrating experience on a website hurts my opinion of the brand overall.”
- 52% mobile users say “A bad mobile experience makes me less likely to engage with a company.”
Google says 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed mobile site. And 40% users have turned to a competitor’s site after a bad mobile experience.
MOBILE SITE BEST PRACTICES
Keep it Quick – Mobile users are often short on time, squeezing in online tasks as they go about their day. To help them, design your site to load fast and make the text easy to read.
Make it Easy to Convert – No matter what your site’s objective is, your customers need to be able to do it with a virtual keyboard and no mouse. Make it easy to buy something or contact you!
Simplify Navigation – No one likes to be confused. Clear navigation will help your customers easily find what they need.
Make it Local – Consumers look for local info on their phones all the time. Have your address on the mobile site. Include maps and direction. Most smart phones have GPS.
Be Thumb-Friendly – People use their fingers to operate mobile devices – especially their thumbs. Design your site so even large hands can easily interact with it.
Make it Seamless – People now use multiple screen throughout the day. Convert as much of the functionality of your desktop site to your mobile site so that you can create a seamless experience.
Design for Visibility – A mobile-friendly site gets its message across without causing eyestrain. Make it easy for your customers to read.
Use Mobile Site Redirects – A mobile site redirect is code that can automatically tell if visitors are using a mobile device and send them to the mobile-friendly version of your site. Give the option at the bottom for the viewer to choose the desktop version for your full website if they wish to see your full website.